On 22 February the UK Government announced their roadmap out of lockdown. Details of the step-by-step plan can be found on the gov.uk website. The key dates for COVID-19 wedding restrictions are as follows:
- 8th March – weddings can start again, with up to 6 people, in places of public worship, public buildings and other locations which are already allowed to open.
- 12th April – the earliest possible date that weddings and receptions can take place with up to 15 attendees, but again, only in places of worship, public buildings and places already allowed to open.
- 17th May – is the earliest possible date for weddings and receptions of up to 30 attendees
- 21st June – the earliest day that all legal limits will be lifted from weddings
So at the moment it looks like the earliest date that weddings and receptions can take place in licensed wedding venues such as hotels and wedding barns, will be 17th May. The above dates are all subject to four tests. Before progressing to to the next date milestone, the Government will review the latest data on the impact of the previous step against the four tests. The four tests are:
- The vaccine deployment programme continues successfully
- Evidence shows vaccines are sufficiently effective in reducing hospitalisations and
deaths in those vaccinated
- Infection rates do not risk a surge in hospitalisations which would put
unsustainable pressure on the NHS
- The Government’s assessment of the risks is not fundamentally changed by new Variants of
Whilst the Government is taking a cautious approach to the easing the lockdown, at least this roadmap can start to return some confidence to couples trying to plan their special day.
If you’re looking to plan or reschedule your wedding for after 21st June when all the legal limits have been removed, then I urge you get in touch with me sooner rather than later, as there will be a sudden upturn in enquiries and bookings for 2021 and 2022.
If you’re planning to get married before the 21st June then I’m happy to discuss putting together a bespoke package based on your requirements and the legal restrictions at the time of your wedding. Just get in touch and let me know your plans.
Hopefully the worst of the COVID-19 wedding restrictions are behind us now, and we can now look forward to happier times and many wedding celebrations!